At the Leverton Infant School and Leverton Junior School we believe children need to be able to:
- write without thinking about how to write
- This enables them to concentrate on what to write.
Both schools have adopted the Nelson Handwriting scheme. The letters are formed as follows for children in Year 2-6
Children in Reception and Year 1 will form the following letters with a loop at the bottom. As they move through the schools, they will continue to join that way.
How to help you child:
- An orthodox pencil grip.
- The fact that a pencil must always be sharp before you use it.
- Tiny pencils, less than 8 cm. long should be discarded.
- How to sit on a chair properly (not slouch), sitting up, with a straight back, the chair pushed in a comfortable amount and both legs under the table. The children’s thighs should be parallel and their feet flat on the floor.
- All four chair legs must be on the ground
- The fact that the non-writing hand (left for right handers; right for left handers) should be on the table in front of the child in a supportive position.
- When writing, books should be fully open, not folded over.
- Right handers can tilt their book to the left. Left handers can tilt their book to the right. In each case the amount of tilt should be no more than 45 degrees.
- To assist a child who has a problem with the amount of ‘tilt’ a right angled corner of tape can be stuck onto the desk where he sits so that he can see where to put the corner of his book.
- A clutter free table is required
- All small letters start at the top with the exception of d and e (which conveniently happen to be next to each other in the alphabet). These two letters start from the middle
World Book Day
We had a fantastic time celebrating World Book Day. It was amazing to see everyone dressed up as their favourite book character. They all looked brilliant! We had a lovely morning reading our favourite books and there were lots of fun activities going on in the classes.
Coming up soon – Dad’s to school morning. Keep your eyes peeled for dates in the newsletter!
This is a reminder that strictly no dogs should be walked or carried onto the school site.
Leverton Infant &Nursery School
Easter Service to be held at Lee Valley Church – Monday 23rd March 1.45 – 2.45
Well done to Daisy Moore (Nursery AM), Ronnie Greyson (Nursery PM), Tilla-Lily Warner (Gold) , Sabrina Wilson (Silver), Leyla Blofeld (Purple), Oliver Nickolds (Yellow), Andy McFadden (Green) and Paige Colgate (Blue) who received certificates in the Infant and Nursery School this week.
Well done to Lennon Pickard (Miss Gibbs/Mrs Campbell’s class), Samaya Kaleel (Mrs Sach’s Class) Alfie Tillbrook (Miss Biggs’s Class), Georgia Berry, Gabriela Musollari, Katie Square (Miss Bektas’s Class) and Alexi Prime (Miss Biggs’s Class) who achieved Green Cards in the Junior School this week.
This is a reminder that the Governing Bodies have agreed the following Term Dates for 2015-2016:
Thursday 3 September Children return
Friday 23 October Break up from School
Tuesday 3 November Children return
Friday 18 December Break up from school
Monday 4 January Children return
Thursday 11 February Break up from school
Monday 22 February Children return
Thursday 24 March Break up from school
Monday 11 April Children return
Thursday 26 May Break up from school
Monday 6 June Children return
Wednesday 20 July Break up from school